Administration of Estates
The death of a loved one is a difficult time and here at Rogers & Norton we can assist with all aspects of the administration of estates, from advice following the death to finalising the estate and ensuring all beneficiaries receive their inheritance.
The first problem, after registering the death and making funeral arrangements, is deciding who the personal representative is, or should be. If there is a Will then Executors are usually appointed within it, whereas if someone dies without a Will and the Intestacy Rules apply and the law decides who should take control.
Our team are experts in advising upon estate administration, whether solvent or insolvent, straightforward or complex. Of course, each and every estate is different and we will endeavour to give each our own personal empathetic touch to suit your specific circumstances.
Examples of the types of tasks we undertake for Executors and Administrators include:
- Retrieving and explaining the terms of the Will
- Checking whether a Will has been made elsewhere
- Investigating the deceased’s assets and liabilities
- Ascertaining whether any Inheritance Tax is payable
- Looking into any potential claims against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family Dependents) Act
- Obtaining a Grant of Representation (see below)
- Collecting in the estate and paying liabilities
- Carrying out the terms of the Will or following the intestacy rules
- Liaising with beneficiaries
- Setting up any trusts required by law or the Will and, if appropriate, being involved with the ongoing administration
- Working with accountants and financial advisers
- Ensuring the tax affairs are settled with H M Revenue and Customs
We do, if the need arises, also advise beneficiaries upon their entitlement to an estate, either by Will or on Intestacy and resolve any issues that arise.
Our charges for this area of work are based upon hourly rates – for more details or to talk through the situation with one of our specialist team please contact a member of our team.