'Speedy responses
and extensive knowledge'
The Legal 500

Liquor Licensing

< Back to Leisure and Licensing

Legal 500 Leading Firm 2016

Liquor Licensing

In 2005 the Licensing Act 2003 came into force and licensing law went through its first major change for 40 years.

The change in theory at least allows 24 hour drinking and a relaxation of the licensing laws and moved control of licensing from the Magistrates Court to Local authorities.

There are now two levels of licence; personal and premises licences.

Since November 2005 all public houses, restaurants, and nightclubs have to have the benefit of a Premises Licence in order to be used for the sale of alcohol.

Premises Licences

All premises licences have conditions attached and one of the major differences between the old and new law is that under the 2003 Act it is the applicant who volunteers those conditions. The conditions stay on the licence and define how the business is run. It is essential therefore that serious consideration is given to the nature of the conditions to be added to any application. 

Personal Licences

All sales of alcohol must be authorised by the holder of a Personal Licence who must have obtained the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) qualification. We can make Personal Licence applications or advise clients on making the applications themselves.

We have close links with Inn-Training an accredited provider of the NCPLH course and can therefore arrange training for the NCPLH.

Bruce Faulkner, the firm’s licensing expert also has considerable expertise in Commercial Property transactions and buying and selling licensed businesses we are able to offer a full service for anyone buying selling or leasing a pub, restaurant or licensed business.

Related Pages

Bruce Faulkner is one of Norwich’s few specialist licensing lawyers"
The Legal 500