If you should lose mental capacity and are unable to deal with your own affairs, either because of an accident or an illness, your family may have to involve the Court of Protection in order to help manage your affairs and make decisions on your behalf.

Regulatory Issues

Court Appointed Deputies

The Deputy or Deputies can be relatives or close friends and must be aged over 18. The Deputy may also be a professional such as a solicitor or a representative of a local authority.

Once appointed a Deputy can assist with paying bills, investing money, buying and selling property and run day to day finances.

Whilst it is beneficial for everyone to have made a Lasting Power of Attorney to appoint those they trust as Attorneys to deal with their finances and welfare decisions, as this will be a quicker and more efficient route for the family, this is not always possible. It may be that a person never has capacity to make a Lasting Power of Attorney or when the time comes for the document to be required that person has already lost capacity.

A Deputyship Order will allow those appointed by the Court to assist the person that is unable to manage their own affairs in all aspects of their finances.

We are able to assist in preparing and making a Deputyship Application to the Court of Protection to appoint a family member or loved one as the Deputy.

Professional Deputies

We have a specialised team of Directors at Rogers & Norton who currently act as Professional Deputies for some of their clients who have lost capacity and either have no close relatives or act for those where the clients need professional assistance. Rogers & Norton have become involved with a variety of clients who have been disabled from a young age or who have lost capacity as they have got older and can now need assistance with their finances.

What our clients say

  • Dear Laura, I cannot thank you enough for your help it has been greatly appreciated.

    Mr H.

    Rumsey Laura

Related pages