Hidden extras in your conveyancing quote
13th May 2019
It’s been reported that the Government is advising home buyers and sellers to check very carefully for 'hidden extras' when choosing a conveyancer, in a series of 'how to' guides published recently.
The guides follow an announcement by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government last year, as part of its promise to improve the home buying and selling process in England and Wales.
The main advice is for buyers to get multiple quotes from ‘legal professionals’. It’s vital to ensure that the full price is known at the outset and to check that there are no hidden extras in the quote given.
A list of other guidance is offered to help:
- If conveyancers have online reviews, buyers are told to read what customers think of the service they provide
- Do they have the specialist skills to handle leasehold, shared ownership or listed building properties?
- Check if the prospective client would have a named contact
- What communication options are available?
- Has a referral fee been paid to a third party for your custom?
- Do you prefer online or in-person service?
- Do their opening hours suit you?
- Does the company have experience conveying properties in your local area?
- Check if the conveyancer is on the mortgage lender’s panel
- Go to the Legal Choices website to check the conveyancer is regulated by an appropriate body.
The seller’s guidance states that a legal representatives should be chosen shortly before the home is put on the market, or as soon as possible once it is up for sale, so as to reduce delays.
On price, sellers are also told to check for hidden extras and whether the conveyancer will be paid a referral fee.
Buying and selling a home can be a stressful and thought provoking process – so it is vital that you instruct knowledgeable, supportive and efficient legal support. Be very careful regarding the prices quoted because as with many things, the initial price quoted will not necessarily turn out to be what you pay.
We have worked hard to ensure we have complete transparency of costs for our conveyancing work, it is detailed very clearly and visibly on our website, to ensure that any new or existing client is fully appraised at the outset of what they will be paying.
Our experienced Conveyancing team have a broad depth of knowledge in dealing with buying and selling properties; working off plan with new build developers; supporting buy to let investors and dealing with all aspects of equity release and lifetime mortgages.
You can contact the team at email@example.com or on 01603 675633.
Please complete the form for a competitive house purchase conveyancing quote.
Please complete the form for a competitive house remortgage conveyancing quote.
Please complete the form for a competitive house sale conveyancing quote.
Please complete the form for a competitive house sale and purchase conveyancing quote.